Thanksgiving Pet Safety Tips

Thanksgiving meal should be for people and not pets. Every year after thanksgiving we see several cases of vomiting and diarrhea in pets. Dogs are particularly sensitive to high fat foods, and even small amounts of Thanksgiving dinner can cause a serious and potentially life threatening condition called pancreatitis. Also, some foods that are safe for people, such as onions, garlic, raisins, yeast dough, and chocolate, are poisonous to pets. If you want your four legged family member to have a Thanksgiving treat, only feed treats that are made for pets. Make sure all Thanksgiving leftovers are put away safely
Read More

How Did My Indoor Cat Get Fleas?

Today, November 1st, two cats came into the animal hospital for skin infections and itchiness. Both cats live 100% indoors and both pet owners were very surprised to find out their cats were itching from fleas. Both owners asked, “How did my indoor cat get fleas?’ This question inspired today’s blog post.   The most common answer is hitchhikers. The fleas hitched a ride on someone or something else that entered their homes. Usually the hitchhiker flea comes inside on other pets that go outside. Any visitor, both human and animal, can bring fleas to your home.   However, that
Read More

HALLOWEEN PET SAFETY TIPS

1. Microchip your pets. Halloween is a common time for pets to escape the home. With all the little visitors and distractions, many pets slip out and get lost. Microchips work to help your pet find it’s way home. Other forms of identification are also helpful to return lost pets, but we love microchips because they can’t fall off and be lost. 2. Make sure your pet’s costume is comfortable and fits well. We have had patients actually need surgery after chewing up and swallowing parts of their costume or being injured when left unsupervised with an ill-fitting outfit.  
Read More