The doctors and staff would like to express our appreciation for allowing us to care for your family members throughout the year. We hope to continue to offer your pets the exquisite medical care and friendly comfort they deserve

Here are some helpful tips to ensure your holiday is a safe one for your pets:

 

Christmas tree water can contain fertilizers that are harmful when ingested. Stagnant water can also contain bacteria that can make pets sick. 

 

Cover up extension and electrical cords; chewing on cords can lead to obstruction. 

 

Use caution with ribbons and tinsel. Pets may find these fun to play with, but ingestion can lead to a very serious intestinal obstruction. 

 

Glass ornaments can cause internal laceration if ingestion. 

 

Poinsettias, mistletoe and holly can all be harmful and cause gastrointestinal symptoms if ingested. 

              

 

Holiday dinner smells yummy to dogs and cats too. Avoid feeding table scraps and bones, which may cause gastrointestinal upset or obstruction. 

 

Chocolate and other candy should be kept out of the reach of pets. Baking chocolate is even more harmful than milk. 

 

Always clean up antifreeze leaks and spills. Even small amounts of antifreeze can be fatal when ingested by dogs and cats. 

 

Thoroughly wipe off your dog’s legs and paws after being in the ice and snow. Encrusted ice can cause painful damage to the paws. Salt and other ice melting products can be harmful if ingested when your pet licks his paws. 

 

Outdoor cats may sleep under the hoods of cars for warmth in the winter. The cat can be injured or killed when the motor starts. Banging loudly on your car hood can give the cat a chance to escape. 

 


 


 

Wishing you and your families a safe, happy, and healthy holiday season!

  

    -Dr. Rona Shapiro, Dr. Amy Scnipke, Christina Pagan,

Lynn Stockwell, Nikki Windon, Sheryl Huddy, & Rebecca Land